Board and chalk were the tools to teach.
As teachers of 21st century, we need to face the new shifts in education and the challenges of using new tools and resources.

martes, 12 de enero de 2010

My first stop

Lots of frustration, tears and almost quiting is the botton line of my introduction to web 2.0 course. Now, since the end of the first module is close I need to make my "first stop".
What have I learned to make me a fascilitator?
- I have to persue my goal of being a better teacher for future generations
- I have to catch up with the tools there are out there.
- I have to reduce the gap between generations
- I have to accept that students learn with different tools.
- thanks God, no matter the generation, they all need to think, digest and reflect on the information.

I had some prejudice towards on line education. I thought it was easier, WRONG!!! IT IS NOT. It demands other strategies, activities but the effort is there, in all the activities and planning the teacher needs to make. Also, in the self discipline the students need to have to accomplish the goals of the course and personal ones.

Each of us have different strenghts. Putting them together in a group work like wiki, or answering a survey is a way to develope team work, and teach from the experience the fact of benefits of teamwork with no prejudice at all. Teamwork is possible on line. collaboration among group members helps the group production.

Peer editing didn´t exist as part of the vocabulary of my teachers decades ago. Now, for me, peer editing is a strength that a fascilitator can use to show collaboration is the answer to overcome difficulties, or to learn and master a new information. Peer editing is useful not only to develope writing skills, and to check that everybody has participated. Peer editing is a great alternative to develope awareness of other people´s need, tolerance to differences.

My first stop is a positive one. I am happy with what I can do now. I am not crying any more and I don´t feel like technology is not my friend. My first stop in my road to becoming a fascilitator has brought me with new ways of working with my computer, having more "space" in my brain to see the cyberspace and have more than 3 windows open at the same time. My assessment?, being able to teach some peers/mates new thinks that I discovered using google has been the most rewarding moment in this journey.

1 comentario:

  1. I totally connect with how you feel about learning online. I agree that it is a relieve that no matter what the generation studets still need to think. That is wghat we have to keep in mind at all times when we develop our online activities. I am glad you are having a nice "first stop" and I am sure your next stops will be just as rewarding.
    Kira

    ResponderEliminar